Saturday, November 11, 2006

Title: The Word For Us / Topic: Biblical Interpretation

Note: Between Tuesday, November 7 and Sunday, November 12, I will be heavily involved in the Fort Natomas Playground rebuild project. Posts during this time may be signifcantly delayed. I appreciate your understanding. I will try to get an early post up so my readers can post some of their own devotional thoughts. I invite you to share any of your own insights or ahas in the comments even before I have made my final devotional post for the day. Thanks for participating in reading and sharing.
Today’s Reading: Psalm 122; 1 Corinthians 9; 1 Corinthians 10; 1 Corinthians 11

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 9:9-10
9 For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is it about oxen that God is concerned? 10 Surely he says this for us, doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest.

Observation: Paul is pointing out something very important to the Corinthians. He is teaching them about supporting the work of the Lord by supporting those who do it. But he makes a broader point in the middle of his argument. He teaches us all about the word of God and the fact that God's primary point in all of the word is for us -- that is, for our benefit.

Application: There are tons of great stories, parables, illustrations, and recorded history in the Bible. But as we read each one, we should look for the personal application or blessing. Paul tells us when God writes about oxen, that they not be muzzled when treading grain, that God is really writing about us! He likes oxen and all, but He's totally crazy about us! He wants us to be blessed. So look for the blessing every time you read the word. It's in there!

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, Lord, thank You that you care so much for me. You wrote a whole library filled with great words for me to read and be blessed by. Help me to always get the message that You want me to receive.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The answer to the question: Is the Bible still relavant? The answer, is YES!

Cynthia Stipech said...

It's all about the "take-away". God wants us to take lessons from His Word that apply to our lives now.