Saturday, January 06, 2007

Title: I Believe -- Kind Of / Topic: Faith And Doubt

Today’s Reading: Genesis 15; Genesis 16; Genesis 17; Luke 6

Scripture: Genesis 15
5 [God] took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars—if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."
6 Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness.
Genesis 16
1 Now Sarai, Abram's wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian maidservant named Hagar; 2 so she said to Abram, "The LORD has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my maidservant; perhaps I can build a family through her."
Abram agreed to what Sarai said.

Observation: Abraham had faith. He had received the promise and he believed it and God gave him credit for that. But before long (I don't know how long) he saw that nothing was happening. And someone else made a suggestion for a shortcut -- a way to help God out. So Abraham decided that he would go that way. Maybe God couldn't do it without his help.

Application: I have received promises from God. And I have believed. And I have doubted. And I have tried to help God out. I don't want to do that any more.

Prayer: Lord, help me to learn to do what You want and only what You want. Help me to not listen to the "suggestions" of others but only to You. I want Your will in its fullness in my life.

This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

So have I. May we learn not to repeat past mistakes.