Sunday, January 07, 2007

Title: Prepared Hearts / Topic: Spiritual Responsiveness

Today’s Reading: Genesis 18; Genesis 19; Psalm 3; Luke 7

Scripture: Luke 7:29-30
29 (All the people, even the tax collectors, when they heard Jesus' words, acknowledged that God's way was right, because they had been baptized by John. 30 But the Pharisees and experts in the law rejected God's purpose for themselves, because they had not been baptized by John.)

Observation: Luke points out a distinction between "all the people, even the tax collectors" and "the Pharisees and experts in the law" in their response to Jesus. The first group responded with acceptance to Jesus' words and "God's way", the second "rejected God's purpose for themselves." And the reason for the difference? It was their response to John's call to be baptized. Those who accepted Jesus had first accepted John's baptism. Those who rejected Jesus had chosen not to be baptized.

Application: What this speaks to me is the truth that a person's response to small spiritual opportunities or challenges has much to do with their ability to respond to the big spiritual choices. I see it in myself and others. If a person decides not respond to smaller spiritual opportunities, such as attending church, participating in worship, or sharing in prayer, he will be less likely to respond to the bigger spiritual decisions and challenges such as surrender to Christ's will, call to ministry, and so forth.

Bottom line: Every spiritual response I make has an effect on the whole of my spiritual future. There is no decision that does not have consequences, either good or bad. So I must respond with a YES every time God puts an opportunity before me.

Prayer: Lord, help me to choose to respond with an affirmative and passionate YES every time You call. I want to prepare the my heart to submit to You to the max. Help me to carry this out.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Good word and good insight from this scripture. I appreciated your observations.