Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Title: Single-Minded / Topic: Focus

Today’s Reading: Genesis 25; Genesis 26; Psalm 6; Luke 10

Scripture: Luke 10:41 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Observation: I think I am like Martha, "worried and upset about many things," and bothered that others aren't helping the way I think they should. But Jesus here makes it clear that between Martha and her sister, Mary, one is better and it's not Martha. "Mary has chosen what is better."

Application: This reminds me of one of the points of my message Sunday about saying "no" to things that are not consistent with what I am about. I have a tendency toward busy-ness and minutiae. But details can, and often do, obscure the truly important stuff of life.

Bottom line: I want to be like Mary -- sitting at Jesus' feet and soaking it in.

Prayer: Lord, draw me close to You and give me the desire and ability to keep my focus upon You. Help me to lay aside the distractibility and become single-minded in my love for You.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Amen. Isn't God good about pointing out what is harming us or distracting us from what is best for us? Don't you just love that about God? He will keep us on track if we let him.