Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Title: Resources Of Heaven / Topic: Divine Provision

Today’s Reading: Genesis 23; Genesis 24; Luke 9

Scripture: Luke 9:12-14
12 Late in the afternoon the Twelve came to him and said, "Send the crowd away so they can go to the surrounding villages and countryside and find food and lodging, because we are in a remote place here."
13 He replied, "You give them something to eat."
They answered, "We have only five loaves of bread and two fish—unless we go and buy food for all this crowd." 14 (About five thousand men were there.)

Observation: Supernatural provision. That's what I see here. Jesus took His disciples away for a little R&R but the crowds figured out where they were and went there. Jesus, instead of being bothered, spends the day ministering to the people's needs. As the day is drawing to a close, the disciples want to send the people away. But Jesus tells them, "You give them something to eat." There are thousands and thousands of people to feed. The disciples freak out. They don't have the means to feed the people. Of course, Jesus knew better. The disciples had their eyes only on themselves. Jesus had His eyes on the Father, the great Provider.

Application: There are so many needs in my community. I feel like sending the people away so often. But Jesus wants me to meet the needs. Not with my own resources, but with His. The resources of heaven are available to me. I want to learn how to use them and demonstrate the greatness of God.

Prayer: Lord, help me to learn the lesson of heavenly provision. I am so limited in my thinking. Open my mind and my eyes to see the possibilities by relying on the resources of heaven.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.