Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Title: Pay Attention / Topic: Reminders

Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 5; Deuteronomy 6; Psalm 43; Mark 14

Scripture: Deuteronomy 6:6-9, 12
6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates...
12 be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

Observation: The instruction here is impressive. The list of ways to reinforce the commandments into our lives ongoingly is significant. God has gone through the effort to give us His commandments -- His ways to live that truly bring life. Now it's up to us to inculcate them into our minds and hearts and lives.

Application: Be careful. That the bottom line. We must engage care -- we must be intentional if we are to keep what God has said to us front and center. There are a myriad of distractions any one of which can divert our focus and compromise our attentiveness to the direction that God wants us to live. So we must surround ourselves with reminders of what He has told us. God's revelation must be central to our lives, our families, our conversations, our thoughts, our everything.

Prayer: Lord, help me to keep You in the bulls eye of my mind's focus. Help me to establish reminders in my life to keep me from distractions and diversions. I want my life to be about You and Your will for me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Very true. I am always also struck with the responsibilities to impress these commands on our children whenever I read this passage. We cannot guarantee they will make the right choices but we are responsible to inculcate God's Word into them so they will be aware if they are leaving the path of righteousness.