Saturday, March 10, 2007

Title: True Lies / Topic: Miracles

Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 13; Deuteronomy 14; Deuteronomy 15; Galatians 1

Scripture: Deuteronomy 13:1-3
1 If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a miraculous sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder of which he has spoken takes place, and he says, "Let us follow other gods" (gods you have not known) "and let us worship them," 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The LORD your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul.

Observation: Liars can do miracles. Just because someone can pull off a miraculous sign or wonder is not guarantee that they speak the truth. Now I like and long for miracles as much as the next guy -- I mean I really want to see miracles! But miracles, in and of themselves, can be a tool used by Satan against God's kingdom. I just find it interesting that God, through Moses, acknowledges that miracle power resides in the evil part of the spiritual realm. Miracles are great, but they must be coupled with truth.

Application: This requires a grounding in the scriptures, the historical church, accountable relationships, and being under authority. What I mean is that knowledge of the word is essential, because the written revelation through the Bible gives us the foundation of understanding of God's nature. But that alone is inadequate -- most cult leaders had great biblical knowledge. One has also to add the other three factors. An understanding of and appreciation for the historical church helps to keep me from thinking more highly of myself than I ought. I love what my spiritual predecessors experienced and accomplished as they went before me. We stand on their shoulders. To reject what went before with a "we need to start fresh" notion is pure folly. We know now what we know because of the trial and error of the historical church. I cannot function independently of it for without it the opportunity to function progressively would not exist. Second, accountable relationships are essential. I must have people who truly know and love me, but who don't worship me. These are true friends who aren't afraid to ask the tough questions, or challenge me, or call me on the carpet. They will help keep me level-headed and true to my convictions. Third, I require a structure of authority over me. Lone ranger, independent types face a kind of danger that will almost always manifest itself in some kind of significant unhealth or imbalance. There are loads of people out there preaching the kingdom who are a law unto themselves. It is not hard for these to begin building their own kingdom instead of God's in these circumstances.

Bottom line: True miracles can be performed by false ministers and can confuse and lead people astray. Stay centered in God with the word, relationships, and submission to authority as your partners.

Prayer: Lord, I ask for miracles and truth. Help us to find and excel in both.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: