Sunday, March 11, 2007

Title: The Flawed Man / Topic: God's Help

Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 16; Deuteronomy 17; Deuteronomy 18; Psalm 38; Galatians 2

Scripture: Psalm 38:16-22
16 For I said, "Do not let them gloat
or exalt themselves over me when my foot slips."
17 For I am about to fall,
and my pain is ever with me.
18 I confess my iniquity;
I am troubled by my sin.
19 Many are those who are my vigorous enemies;
those who hate me without reason are numerous.
20 Those who repay my good with evil
slander me when I pursue what is good.
21 O LORD, do not forsake me;
be not far from me, O my God.
22 Come quickly to help me,
O Lord my Savior.

Observation: David is going down. He foresees tough times ahead. And he knows he has enemies who would love to see him fail. He has his own personal struggles: "I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin." David is under no illusion of perfection -- he is a flawed man and he knows it. I like that about David. I can relate to that. And best of all, David knows that God is his hope. In verses 21 and 22 he calls upon the Lord for help.

Application: The message to me is so simple and direct. Like David I have enemies, I will fail, I have undeniable flaws, and I must rely on God to help me to survive and (hopefully) to thrive.

Prayer: Lord, You know me through and through. And, miracle that it is to me, You still love me so much. Thank You, Lord. You are my help and my survival. Come to my aid in my times of need.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: