Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Title: Three Thoughts / Topic: Christian Living

Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 22; Deuteronomy 23; Deuteronomy 24; Galatians 4

Scripture: Galatians 4:15-17
15 What has happened to all your joy?...
16 Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
17 Those people are zealous to win you over, but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us, so that you may be zealous for them.

Observations/Applications: I have three separate observations and applications -- one for each verse.
Verse 15 spoke to me about the fact that so many Christians don't seem to exhibit a lot of joy. Sometimes I get too serious about everything and forget to dwell in joy. Paul's question to the Galatians is something we all need to think about.
Verse 16 reminded me about all the people who have heard a true and caring word I spoke to them and taken it in the wrong way. They turned it around and became offended and considered me their enemy. I can so relate to Paul in this. (Don't be easily offended but be thankful for true friends who speak the truth in love to you.)
Verse 17 makes me sad. It reminds me of young Christians who have been picked off by predatory zealots. These zealots come across as sincere believers but their tactics of sheep stealing are anything but Christian. Unfortunately, many of these zealots offer simplistic but powerful formulas that sound good to the immature and undiscerning ear. And the end result is that their targets get led astray and joined to an unhealthy group. (Listen to your pastor. Don't get wowed by some phony baloney self-appointed prophet.)

Prayer: Lord, the same kind of stuff has been happening to Your people as long as You have had people. Help us to be wiser and to stay humble and teachable. We belong to You. Have mercy upon us.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

All true. Your 3rd pont was the one that struck closest to my heart. I've seen that happen a lot also and it is heartbreaking. I'm not sure what we can do to prevent so much of it. New believers need a hedge of prayer around them as well as older believers willing to spend time instructing them.