Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Title: The Rarest Thing / Topic: Freedom

Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 25; Deuteronomy 26; Deuteronomy 27; Galatians 5

Scripture: Galatians 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

Observation: Freedom is a rare thing. Jesus had to give up His life for us to have the possibility of freedom. Without Jesus, there would be no freedom, only varying degrees of bondage and slavery. And freedom has enemies. Freedom is threatening. Freedom always faces opposition. The enemies of freedom can look secular or spiritual. They can have suits and ties or jihadi masks. The enemies of freedom are within us and surrounding us. The are in the world and in the church.

Application: It requires vigilance to sustain freedom. The pressures of bondage will constantly seek to encroach in on the borders of freedom. I must be intentional and make a stand to stay free. To maintain freedom is not easy or automatic.

Prayer: Lord, help me to live and lead in Your glorious freedom. I want to be free in You to live the righteous life that You envision for me in the Holy Spirit. Free me from the bondages of self and sin and the expectations of others. Free me to hear Your voice and to walk in Your power every moment of every day.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: