Monday, March 05, 2007

Title: You're Blessing Them? / Topic: Big God

Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 1; Deuteronomy 2; Mark 12

Scripture: Deuteronomy 2:4-6, 9
4 "...'You are about to pass through the territory of your brothers the descendants of Esau, who live in Seir. They will be afraid of you, but be very careful. 5 Do not provoke them to war, for I will not give you any of their land, not even enough to put your foot on. I have given Esau the hill country of Seir as his own. 6 You are to pay them in silver for the food you eat and the water you drink.' "...
9 Then the LORD said to me, "Do not harass the Moabites or provoke them to war, for I will not give you any part of their land. I have given Ar to the descendants of Lot as a possession."

Observation: It is interesting that God, in directing His "chosen people" to their promised land, warns them to not bother some other people because they are the recipients of blessings from God. Both the descendants of Esau and the descendants of Lot are singled out as having special protection and provision from God. Interesting...

Application: I tend to think that God's a certain exclusivity to certain groups, like the nation of Israel and Christian people. So if you don't belong to one or both of these groups, too bad for you. But God here not only has extended territorial blessing to these people, He warns the Jews to give them a wide berth or they will suffer.

This just reminds me that God can bless whomever He pleases. He is not restrained to my BOX. Whenever I feel a little bothered with God's choice and I want to ask, "You're blessing them?", I need to remember that He is God and I am not, and I am asking God to help me to become bigger so I can get out of my BOX.

Prayer: Lord, I thank You that You are so grand and so expansive. You go way beyond my ability to grasp even the possibilities. So help me to be bigger, like You, and understand the boundless nature of Your love. Help me to love like You do.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: