Saturday, March 03, 2007

Title: They Got It Wrong / Topic: Mistaken People

Today’s Reading: Numbers 32; Numbers 33; Mark 10

Scripture: Mark 10:13, 35, 37, 46-48
13 People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them...
35 Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. "Teacher," they said, "we want you to do for us whatever we ask..."
37 ..."Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory..."
46 ...a blind man, Bartimaeus (that is, the Son of Timaeus), was sitting by the roadside begging. 47 When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"
48 Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!"

Observation: Notice how often the people around Jesus get it wrong. In verse 13, the disciples rebuke those bringing the little children. In verses 35-37, James and John try to secure special privilege over the other disciples. In verse 48, Bartimaeus is trying to get Jesus' attention so he can be healed of his blindness. Many people around him "rebuked him and told him to be quiet."

Application: Lots of people have ideas about religion and God. But many of those ideas are just wrong. Sometimes the loudest and most vocal people have the worst spiritual direction. It requires discernment to not listen to those who prefer order and quiet and those who love position and promotion. I find God to not be easily confined. And I don't even want to try. I want to listen to Him and I want to be free to yell if that's what it takes to get His attention.

Prayer: Lord, I'm sure that I have gotten it wrong plenty of times. And I would bet that I have listened to those who got it wrong plenty of times. But Lord, I want to listen to You. I want to get it right. Help me to do what I need to do to make this happen. Give me discernment to know and boldness to speak up.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: