Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Title: Aggressively Protective / Topic: Responsible Leadership

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 11; 1 Samuel 12; 1 Chronicles 1; 2 Corinthians 11

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 11:12 And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about.

Observation: Paul is on a tear. He is taking on outsiders who have come into the Corinthian church, presenting themselves as "apostles," even using the term "super apostles." Paul considers them dangerous interlopers and does everything he can to convince the church not to follow these impostors. What I notice is how aggressive Paul is. He doesn't shade his words -- it's black and white to him.

Application: This is encouraging to me. I have had situations in my leadership where some have come in or risen up to rival my leadership in the lives of people who are under my care. My first response is to be defensive of the sheep -- not of myself or my position. Sometimes I have been attacked for this. But Paul, who did the exact same thing and even more, tells me that I am right on.

Bottom Line: Spiritual leadership must be aggressively protective for their people because subversive religious-appearing fakes will always appear to do damage to a church. The pastor must be vigilant and aggressive in neutralizing those who come in with less-than-holy motivations. (Some of these people may be unaware of their bad motivations.)

Prayer: Lord, help me to have discernment as I lead. Give me strength and wisdom to protect those whom You have given me the privilege to care for.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Pastor Matt said...

Lord thank you for Pastor Mike and his love for your people. Lord bless Pastor Mike and Pastor Cynthia and their family.