Friday, April 13, 2007

Title: Compelling Conviction / Topic: Faith

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 14; 1 Chronicles 4; 2 Corinthians 13

Scripture: 1 Samuel 14:6 Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, "Come, let's go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. Perhaps the LORD will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few."

Observation: I love Jonathan. His statement of the conviction of his heart concerning God is great! Notice that he does not presume to claim that God will act for them no matter what. He says "perhaps." (In the verses following this one, he proposes two options -- one where God will help them.) And he knows one thing for sure: "Nothing can hinder the Lord from saving, whether by many or by few."

Application: I want to let this inspire me. Jonathan was facing ridiculously overwhelming odds. But he saw God as so much bigger than any enemy he could face. Think about that. It is truly remarkable that Jonathan is able to disregard the obviously-visible overwhelming, threatening force of the Philistines with their chariots, swords, spears, and large numbers, and to see his invisible God as more powerful, more reliable, and he is willing to lay his life on the line with this invisible God against the powerful army standing before him. How much must I choose to trust in God for my every need and against my every obstacle? I must with every fiber of my being.

Prayer: Lord, You are great. Forgive me for my lack of faith. Thank You for Jonathan and his great example for me. Inspire me to greater and greater faith. I know You will be there for me as I act with conviction and trust in You.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: