Sunday, April 08, 2007

Title: A Pastor's Fantasy / Topic: Great Giving

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 3; 1 Samuel 4; 1 Samuel 5; Psalm 77; 2 Corinthians 8

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 8:2-5
2 Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints. 5 And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will.

Observation: Paul is writing about the Macedonian churches. He describes their amazingly great giving. These Christians literally begged to give, considering it a privilege! (Unfortunately, this attitude is almost unseen today.) And their giving came from hearts of submission to God, with a priority on pleasing Him first and allowing their giving to be guided by God's will for them. The result was giving beyond a level that Paul even thought possible of them.

Application: I have entitled this post A Pastor's Fantasy because the attitude of these Macedonian Christians is what any pastor would love to have in the people he leads. Not just the generosity in the area of finance (although that would be mightily refreshing), but the giving of themselves first to the Lord. What a blessing to have a group people who have made God the first priority in their lives not just in word, but in deed as well.

[Disclaimer: I want to make it clear that I, like every pastor, have some people in my flock that are like these Macedonians. What makes this group A Pastor's Fantasy, is the fact that the entire church was characterized by this wonderful commitment. That is unheard of among pastors I have met or churches I know of.]

Prayer: Lord, I pray that there would be more and more of Your people who are like these Macedonian believers. Guide me so that I can inspire people to greater and greater levels of intimacy and commitment to You as the #1 thing in their lives.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: