Saturday, September 22, 2007

Title: The Intercessor / Topic: The Heart of Repentance

Today’s Reading: Daniel 9; Daniel 10; Psalm 123; Luke 5

Scripture: Daniel 9:4-6, 20
4 I prayed to the LORD my God and confessed: "O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with all who love him and obey his commands, 5 we have sinned and done wrong. We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws. 6 We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes and our fathers, and to all the people of the land...
20 While I was speaking and praying, confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel..."

Observation: Daniel is a righteous man. But here, as he intercedes for his nation, he identifies himself with his nation in confession of sin and rebellion against God. It is striking to me that Daniel, who in no way could be considered rebellious, uses the pronoun we in his prayer, accepting responsibility for his nation's wrongs against God. Look at how many times Daniel uses the word "we" in the above passage. He has the true heart of the intercessor.

Application: I can use Daniel as a model for intercession. If I am to intercede for any group that I am a part of (my nation, my church, The Church, pastors, etc.), I must fully identify with that group in prayer. That means not praying, "They have sinned..." but praying, "We have sinned..." and "I have sinned..." This pleases God.

Prayer: Lord, give me the heart of an intercessor. And forgive our sin, my sin, and heal our land. Have mercy upon us, I pray.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: