Sunday, September 16, 2007

Title: Perfection Required / Topic: Heaven

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 40; Ezekiel 41; Psalm 128; Revelation 21

Scripture: Revelation 21:27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Observation: I must confess that I did not at all enjoy today's reading in Ezekiel. All the dimensions and detailed descriptions of the buildings that Ezekiel saw in his vision are dizzying and not enjoyable to read, as far as I am concerned.

I did notice this verse at the end of Revelation chapter 21. Speaking of the New Jerusalem, we are told that perfection is required of all those that enter it. Of course for anyone to have this perfection requires that he come to it through the gift of God and the blood of Jesus. Without Jesus, no perfection is possible. And without perfection, you can't get into this New Jerusalem, or heaven itself, for that matter.

Application: Many people will argue that they are "good enough" to make it into heaven. They are basically "good people" and their little faults certainly wouldn't be significant enough for God to keep them from entering. But there is no "good enough" in eternity. There is perfection or not. Perfection comes not of flesh, lest any man should boast -- it is the gift of God to the one who repents of sin and accepts the salvation which comes only through Jesus Christ. And once we have received this salvation, we must keep ourselves pure by walking in the Spirit so we do not fulfill the desires of the sinful nature.

Prayer: Lord, I thank you that my salvation is not based on my ability to deserve or earn it. I thank you that Jesus did it all -- paying the full price for my sin and rising again from the dead to give me newness of life. I thank you that he took the coverings of sin that I had made and gave me his royal robes of righteousness that I may enter into your holy presence on that day. I am thankful, Lord.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: