Saturday, September 15, 2007

Title: Not Yet / Topic: Future Events?

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 38; Ezekiel 39; Psalm 145; Revelation 20

Scripture: Ezekiel 39:21-23
21 "I will display my glory among the nations, and all the nations will see the punishment I inflict and the hand I lay upon them. 22 From that day forward the house of Israel will know that I am the LORD their God. 23 And the nations will know that the people of Israel went into exile for their sin, because they were unfaithful to me..."

Observation: These verses of prophecy seem to indicate a time when Israel's punishment will be universally understood. Israel will understand and acknowledge God as their Lord. All the nations will understand that "Israel went into exile for their sin..." But it seems to me that, though Israel has been restored to her land, this prophecy is yet to be fulfilled.

Application: The interpretation of prophecy can be a tricky business. Events that appear right next to each other in the text can refer to events hundreds or even thousands of years apart. And there is often a switch over from actual physical events to events occurring in the spiritual realm. The reason I wanted to write about this is just to be reminded that humility is so important when trying to interpret and apply God's word. I meet many people who seem to think that they have it down cold. But I think they are mistaken. Nobody has it down cold. As the Apostle Paul wrote: "Now we see through a glass darkly."

Prayer: Lord, keep me humble but also help me to understand and apply your word as fully as I possibly can. Show us your ways and lead us in your will.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: