Monday, September 10, 2007

Title: Depression's Antidote / Topic: The Eternally-Loving Lord

Today’s Reading: Lamentations 3; Lamentations 4; Lamentations 5; Revelation 15

Scripture: Lamentations 3:22-26
22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him."
25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD.
by the rod of his wrath.

Observation: This is a familiar passage of scripture. "The compassions of the Lord never fail, they are new every morning. Great is your faithfulness." What I did not realize until reading it today is this: this scripture follows a cry of affliction. Verses 1-21 give a sad tale of woe by a man who has seen his world turned upside down and who has lost all hope -- except for one. Look at the verses immediately preceding the passage above: "So I say, 'My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the LORD.' I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me." (vss. 18-20). The writer is in great distress. But then he pauses and says in verse 21, "Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope..." and leads us into the beautiful and inspiring truths of the constant renewal of God's tender mercies.

Application: There is no depression so deep or calamity so dire that the reflection on God's mercies would not raise the spirits and hopes of those who will seize the moment to turn their thoughts upward. Hope springs eternal when one's hope is in the eternally-loving Lord.

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for always being there and for your mercies that are always ministered in our direction. I love you and thank you that you will never fail. May I always abide in your tender mercies.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: