Friday, September 14, 2007

Title: Brave Obedience / Topic: Boldness

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 36; Ezekiel 37; Psalm 110; Revelation 19

Scripture: Ezekiel 37:1-7
1 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. 2 ...bones that were very dry.... 4 Then he said to me, "Prophesy to these bones and say to them, 'Dry bones, hear the word of the LORD! 5 This is what the Sovereign LORD says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life. 6 I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD.' "
7 So I prophesied as I was commanded...

Observation: The valley of dry bones presents such an interesting mental image -- every time I read it I imagine what it must have been like for Ezekiel. But I know "the rest of the story" while Ezekiel did not. He only knew that he was in a valley full of very dry bones. And God tells him, "Prophesy to these bones..." This is not an easy thing to do.

Application: When we look at our own valley full of dry bones, we just see dead, dry bones. We see no hope of life -- no future -- nothing other than death. God commands faith -- and prophecy. It requires great boldness and faith to speak of life and hope in the face of circumstances that scream death and hopelessness. But Ezekiel shows us how to do it. "So I prophesied as I was commanded." Just do it in sheer obedience. Ezekiel did not have any ability to make the bones live. But he did not need to do that. He only needed to speak in obedience to God. What has God told you to do or speak? You can do what he asks of you. The question is, "will you?"

Prayer: Lord, I want to be like Ezekiel and speak to the dead, dry bones in my own life. Help me to hear your instruction and to do what you say.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: