Sunday, September 09, 2007

Title: Tragic Turns / Topic: Destructive Outcomes

Today’s Reading: Lamentations 1; Lamentations 2; Obadiah 1; Revelation 14

Scripture: Lamentations 2:5, 14
5 The Lord is like an enemy;
he has swallowed up Israel.
He has swallowed up all her palaces
and destroyed her strongholds.
He has multiplied mourning and lamentation
for the Daughter of Judah.

14 The visions of your prophets
were false and worthless;
they did not expose your sin
to ward off your captivity.
The oracles they gave you
were false and misleading.

Observation/Application: These two verses in Lamentations 2 jumped out at me.

Verse 5 is jolting! "The Lord is like an enemy..." How incredibly tragic it is that this nation (Israel) whom the Lord loved as his chosen possession should live in such a way that the Lord himself eventually becomes as their enemy. It just reminds me that it is my responsiblity to keep my relationship with the Lord healthy. It is possible to start in a good place and end in a terribly destructive place. I am the one who (with God's help) determines the course of these matters.

Verses 14 got my attention because it suscintly expresses the purpose of prophets. Prophets are to expose sin and speak in such a way as to give the hearers the opportunity to repent. Without honest prophetic voices, you and I will inevitably veer into the paths of destruction. It's as simple as that.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, keep me on your path. I want to grow in you every day. I want to walk with you every day. Help me, Lord.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: