Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Title: Whose Devices? / Topic: The Power Of Choice

Today’s Reading: Daniel 3; Daniel 4; Psalm 81; Revelation 17

Scripture: Psalm 81:8, 11-16
8 "Hear, O my people, and I will warn you—
if you would but listen to me, O Israel!
11 "But my people would not listen to me;
Israel would not submit to me.
12 So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts
to follow their own devices.
13 "If my people would but listen to me,
if Israel would follow my ways,
14 how quickly would I subdue their enemies
and turn my hand against their foes!
15 Those who hate the LORD would cringe before him,
and their punishment would last forever.
16 But you would be fed with the finest of wheat;
with honey from the rock I would satisfy you."

Observation: Two choices, two destinies. The Lord cries out to his people. "If you would but listen to me..." But they would not listen. So he "gave them over to their own stubborn hearts to follow their own devices." Their own devices. That means that their lives are in their own hands. God steps aside. But he would rather step inside. Notice that he stands ready "If my people would but listen to me... how quickly would I subdue their enemies..."

Application: It all depends on whether or not we listen to and follow the Lord. It seems insanity not to follow him. But I have done it and, unfortunately, I will likely do it again. The sin nature also stands ready to step inside and take control. Which choice will I make? Which choice will you make?

Prayer: Lord, I want to listen to and obey you. As the hymn says, "Trust and obey for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus than to trust and obey." That's where I want to live.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

So true. Loved your blog.