Friday, September 21, 2007

Title: The Wear Of Battle / Topic: Spiritual Toughness

Today’s Reading: Daniel 7; Daniel 8; Psalm 137; Luke 4

Scriptures:
Daniel 7:28 "This is the end of the matter. I, Daniel, was deeply troubled by my thoughts, and my face turned pale, but I kept the matter to myself."

Daniel 8:27 I, Daniel, was exhausted and lay ill for several days. Then I got up and went about the king's business. I was appalled by the vision; it was beyond understanding.

Luke 4:42 At daybreak Jesus went out to a solitary place. The people were looking for him and when they came to where he was, they tried to keep him from leaving them.

Observation: Daniel is physically spent as a result of seeing the visions that the Lord gave him. He is literally sick. Jesus, likewise is worn out from ministering for days and needs to get away.

Application: Ministry has a cost. Not just a spiritual cost, but a physical and emotional cost as well. When I read what the great men of the Bible endured, I often wonder if I have what it takes to perform as they did. Could I receive a vision like Daniel did? I think it might kill me. But I want to be spiritually tough to be of the greatest use to the Lord. I think that is something that we all could use: a little more spiritual toughness.

Prayer: Lord, make me a stout warrior for you. Help me to do the stuff that will build my spiritual muscles and my endurance.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i know that the ministry is hard. and i'm sure that you have had your doubts and frustrations. i want you to know that you ARE a stout warrior. you are such a great example to me and i'm sure to others. i admire you greatly and i hope that i can become as godly as you are someday.

love you pop!