Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Title: The Extreme Call / Topic: Sacrifice

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 4; Ezekiel 5; Ezekiel 6; Ezekiel 7; Revelation 3

Scripture: Ezekiel 4:4-6
4 "Then lie on your left side and put the sin of the house of Israel upon yourself. You are to bear their sin for the number of days you lie on your side. 5 I have assigned you the same number of days as the years of their sin. So for 390 days you will bear the sin of the house of Israel.
6 "After you have finished this, lie down again, this time on your right side, and bear the sin of the house of Judah. I have assigned you 40 days, a day for each year."

Observation: Poor Ezekiel! Every time I read through this passage, I feel so sorry for Ezekiel. 430 day laying on his side! Ouch. (And he didn't have a Sleep Number Bed.) Plus, he had to camp out and build his camp fire with cow manure. Yum! What fun!

Application: This is such an extreme call. It makes me glad for the call that I have. I can sometimes complain to God about my "hardships." I think God must smile at my complaints. When I look at Ezekiel's call, I realize that I have it easy.

Ezekiel's call was something that God knew he could do. And my call is something that God knows I can do. And every person's call is something that God know he or she can do. Of course, regardless of one's specific call, none of us can do it on our own. I must have God's empowerment. I need to humbly seek Him that I may be able answer His call to the utmost of the opportunity that God has given.

Prayer: Lord, I want to answer Your call with excellence. I want You to be pleased with what You see and hear in me. And thank You, Lord, for the high privilege of being called to Your service. Empower me to do it well.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I, too, am always amazed at this passage. It always makes me ask myself, "Would I be willing to make a fool of myself in obedience to something God told me to do?" Because you have to admit, what Ezekiel was called to do was bizarre, weird and foolish looking. I don't think I'm immune enough to what people think to do anything like this and it bothers me that I still struggle with "the fear of man" as much as I do.