Monday, October 30, 2006

Title: "We'd Rather Have Pigs" / Topic: Priorities

Today’s Reading: Job 21; Mark 5; Mark 6

Scripture: Mark 5:14-17
14 Those tending the pigs ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened. 15 When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. 16 Those who had seen it told the people what had happened to the demon-possessed man—and told about the pigs as well. 17 Then the people began to plead with Jesus to leave their region.

Observation: The people want Jesus to leave. Why? Because of Him, they lost their pigs. "Yeah, I know that he fixed that dangerous whacko. But, we gotta have our pigs! We can't take a chance on jeopardizing our pigs!"

Application: Not everybody wants what Jesus has to offer. Lots of people prefer to be left alone with their stuff (even if it is just a bunch of pigs), rather than to be confronted with power they can't control or explain. But, notice, Jesus does not try to talk they out of their preference. He respects their wishes and leaves.

Bottom line: Share the Gospel and let people decide. If they don't want it, move on.

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, I want You more than anything. Thank You for Your mercy that draws me to You. Help me to share Your goodness with everyone in such a way that they want You too.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

We wrote on the same passage. Yours made me laugh. I love your take on it. I drew a different lesson from the story. My point was that their love of money (i.e. their pigs) was more important to them than Jesus. Same basic point but yours was much more humorous.