Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Title: The Bookend Brothers / Topic: Destiny

Today’s Reading: Psalm 121; Mark 9; Mark 10

Scripture: Mark 10:35-40
35 Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. "Teacher," they said, "we want you to do for us whatever we ask."
36 "What do you want me to do for you?" he asked.
37 They replied, "Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory."
38 "You don't know what you are asking," Jesus said. "Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?"
39 "We can," they answered. Jesus said to them, "You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, 40 but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared."

Observation: James and John make private request of Jesus. They want to be His special assistants. Sitting on the right and left of any ruler are the second and third most powerful of the kingdom. James and John want to reserve their spots in advance so no one else can get these places of privilege and power. They picture Jesus, sitting as King and Messiah, on a great throne, and the two of them, sitting on His immediate right and left, like two important bookends. Of course, Jesus tells them that those positions are not to be dispensed in this way. But interesting to me, James and John did end up being bookends, and, as a result, very privileged and unique in Jesus' Kingdom. They were bookends in that James and John were the first and the last martyrs of the disciples! James was the very first disciple to be killed for his faith. And John was the very last disciple to die for the Lord.

Application: We may think that God should give us this or that special place or recognition, but we really do not know the ultimate destiny that God has for us. James and John wanted honor, but they got a far greater honor than that which they sought. We do not know just how this journey will end, but we know the ultimate destiny is to be with the Lord, and we have His continued strength and encouragement to finish the course.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, for choosing me. Help me to accept Your path for my life and to not chafe against it. May I embrace both the blessings and the limitations that are my lot. I ask You to help me to make the most of every opportunity that You bring to me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: