Sunday, October 29, 2006

Title: Sow Seed! / Topic: Evangelism

Today’s Reading: Job 20; Mark 3; Mark 4

Scripture: Mark 4:3-8
3 "Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, multiplying thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times."

Observation: I notice that the sower just keeps sowing the seed. He does not look at the soil and say, "This isn't good soil. I won't waste my seed here." He scatters the seed.

Application: I try to sow where I think I am guaranteed results (or at least I think I have a good chance of results). But it seems from this parable that I need to be much more liberal with scattering seed. I need to get the seed out everywhere and give the soils a chance to react and respond. Perhaps there will be growth where I don't expect it. (Especially since I've seen little or no growth where I did expect it.)

Prayer: Lord, help me to be bold and unhindered with sharing the Gospel. I've got good news -- help me to share it more freely and frequently. Give me opportunities and I will take them. I want to win many souls.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Great observation. When we are in the role of the sower we just need to sow. The types of soil and what they stand for was taught by Jesus for us to examine our own lives and how we respond to the Word, not to give us a handbook on how to judge what kind of "soil" to choose to sow in.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying that the seed you sowed for Alex Sowles will take root and grow and that he will someday scatter the seed. Alex lived in Washington State for nearly a year and then moved to Buffalo NY and lived there nearly a year. My prodigal is coming home but he hasn't hit bottom yet. He will arrive in Sac on Dec 12th. I know, Pastor that you love him and you are his first Pastor, and the only Pastor who truly made an impact on his life; please hold him up in prayer. Love, Elizabeth