Friday, November 03, 2006

Title: A Lord Worth Living For / Topic: Jesus

Today’s Reading: Job 25; Mark 13; Mark 14

Scripture: Mark 14:64-65
64 ...They all condemned him as worthy of death. 65 Then some began to spit at him; they blindfolded him, struck him with their fists, and said, "Prophesy!" And the guards took him and beat him.

Observation: As I read this I think of my Lord, the loving Jesus, being brutalized by people He came to save. Even the sins they were committing by beating Him would be among those that His impending sacrificial death would provide forgiveness for.

Application: He bore my sin, my shame and as they were hurting Him, He endured this maltreatment out of His heart of love for me. Sometimes I think of the cross in almost abstract terms, but the suffering of Jesus was not abstract. It was personal, painful, and real. He took the beatings that I deserve. He is worthy of all worship and adoration and yet He allowed Himself to be spit upon. This is a Lord worth living for.

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, Thank You for Jesus. Thank You for sending Your only Son to live and die as my Savior. Lord, it pains me to think that my sin brought pain to Your Son. But I am thankful that through Your love, Jesus came to make it possible for me to know You as my Lord and God. Help me to live as Jesus did -- following Your word, sharing love, and giving my life for others.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Thinking about such things is important so that we avoid the tendency toward thinking of ourselves more highly than we ought to.