Monday, November 27, 2006

Title: Alone For Me / Topic: Jesus' Sacrifice

Today’s Reading: Psalm 125; Matthew 26; Matthew 27

Scripture: Matthew 27:46 About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Observation: Jesus is in agony on the cross. The physical pain had to be excruciating. But He only cries out at this moment. And it is not physical pain that causes Jesus reaction -- it is spiritual aloneness. For this is the first time in all eternity where Jesus is separated from His Father. He is truly alone and He cries out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" "Why?"

Application: The answer is that Jesus was separated from the Father so I could be united with the Father. Jesus had agreed to step aside from His place of perfect union with the Father into my place of sinful separation from God so that I could step into that place of relationship that He had so faithfully occupied. He stepped aside so I could step in. I am amazed at His love.

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father,
Lord, it is unfathomable to me what suffering Jesus endured for me. Help me to walk gratefully and faithfully as Your son. Thank You for Jesus' great love and sacrifice that makes it possible for me to know You as my Lord and my God. Thank You, Jesus.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I think Jesus was truly alone in a way that none of us has ever been. What gratitude we should have all the time for what he has done for us!