Saturday, December 02, 2006

Title: Come On In / Topic: Grace

11:30 a.m. Late update: For some unknown reason, when I pulled up the reading list this morning, I got the list from December 1st (that's yesterday) and mistakenly did my devotional post on that. I am right now doing today's reading (Romans 9-12) and will post on that as well. Consider this post a free bonus! :)

Today’s Reading:
Romans 5; Romans 6; Romans 7; Romans 8

Scripture: Romans 5:1-2
1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand...

Observation: I love this! Paul describes the fact that we have been given a gift -- a gift of access to God. It's as if a gate has been opened for us to enter into the presence of God. And this gate is "our Lord Jesus Christ." We have been granted entry into so many blessings because of this gate. Justification, peace, grace, the ability to have a standing before God -- all these are ours because of the gift of this gate, Jesus Christ.

Application: First, I must enter the gate, that is, accept the invitation to "come on in" that Jesus gives to me. I do this "through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ." The gate does no good if I don't walk through it.
Second, I need to recognize and cooperate with God's plan and provision that He accomplished in providing this gate. The things I listed above, "justification, peace, grace, the ability to have a standing before God," do not come automatically. No, they are the result of a partnership of me with God. I must, by faith, let the new take over and the old die. This will be much easier if I start with the understanding that without this opportunity, I would be lost and hopeless and powerless to do anything about it. This understanding will produce a gratefulness in me and help me to never seriously consider turning back.
And third, I need to continue in this thankfulness and cooperation with God's will for me. He's given me the chance to know Him and to grow in Him. But whether or not I truly make something of this opportunity is dependent on my cooperating with Him.

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, Thank You for inviting me to come on in. I am so grateful that You provided the Gate through which I can enter Your presence. Thank You for the gift of life through faith in Jesus Christ my Lord. Help me to walk rightly in You and to bring others along with me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Great blog (although it is from the same reading as yesterday). Realizing what God has done is so important to maintaining a grateful attitude and not taking our salvation for granted.

Mike Stipech said...

Thanks for making me aware of my error.

Michael