Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Title: The Joy-Filled Life / Topic: Living In God's Will

Today’s Reading: 1 Thessalonians 4; 1 Thessalonians 5; 2 Thessalonians 1; 2 Thessalonians 2; 2 Thessalonians 3

Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Be joyful always; 17 pray continually; 18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Observation/Application: Apparently, God wants happy people.
1) He tells us to "be joyful always." This is a command to a specific attitude which characterizes us. I think that means that I am supposed to be joyful as a lifestyle.
2) "Pray continually" -- this will help with #1. By staying in contact and connection with the Lord, I will automatically be more joyful. And I will be empowered to actually do it!
3) "Give thanks in all circumstances" -- this is only possible if I understand that God is working good things in my life even through the bad situations that happen. By focusing on the ultimate, rather than the immediate, I can be thankful for God's activity on my behalf.
4) "This is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" -- all these things are a part of God's master plan for my life. By doing them, I am living in alignment with His plan and thus I am much more likely to actually realize the potential that God has for me.

Prayer: Lord, thank You that You have a plan for me. I want to fulfill Your will for my life. Help me to maintain that secure ongoing relationship and communication with You so that I can be empowered to live a joy-filled and prayerful life of thanksgiving to You.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I was reminded of your sermon on Sunday as I read your blog. How we need to remember and practice thankfulness and joy in our lives. A negative attitude never has worked a positive result that I can think of.