Saturday, December 02, 2006

Title: Even Me / Topic: God's Mercy

Today’s Reading: Romans 9; Romans 10; Romans 11; Romans 12

Scripture: Romans 9:14-16
14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." 16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

Observation: Paul is answering objections that people have apparently raised about the rightness of God's judgment. People like to argue, I guess, though I don't understand why. While people will go on debating about whether or not or how God should judge people or condemn people, I see something truly amazing here. And that is the possibility of God actually having mercy or compassion on me. I know me. Why God would want me is a mystery to me. But He does. This blows my mind.

Application: So be thankful and rejoice. Don't argue, debate, or bicker over the finer points of God's judgment. (Remember, He is God. That gives Him the right to set the rules.) Just be glad that He is giving you and me the chance to know Him -- you and I can be the recipient of His grace and mercy. That's amazing. Thank the Lord!

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, for your amazing grace that saves a wretch like me. Your love and grace and mercy always gives me pause. Help me and all who read this to walk in humble gratitude and joyful appreciation for Your great gifts.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.