Sunday, December 03, 2006

Title: The Perspective Of Eternity / Topic: Holiness

Today’s Reading: Romans 13; Romans 14; Romans 15; Romans 16

Scripture: Romans 13:11-14
11 And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. 14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

Observation: Paul speaks simply and directly to believers about an understanding and an approach to nurture personal holiness. The understanding is that "our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed." In other words, the moment when this present world will end for me is close. Whether Jesus' return or my death is the means that takes me out of this world, it's close. (Especially in geological terms.) :)

Application: The approach is to exercise the will with determination to "behave decently, as in the daytime" -- we use the term "in broad daylight." So live like everyone is watching. Personal habits of substance abuse, sexual licentiousness are addressed as are attitudes of pride which lead to divisiveness and pettiness. Jesus is to be the cloak that we cover ourselves with and -- I love this final phrase -- "do not even think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature." In other words, don't allow indulgent thoughts to have space in your brain. This calls for self control and self monitoring of my thought life.

Prayer: Lord, help me to live today for the forever You have for me. Help me to lay aside any temporary indulgences that hurt me in the eternal sense. Make me a man with the perspective of eternity imprinted in my mind.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

So true. We need to keep in mind that this life is only a short, transitory phase. Yet how we live here and the choices we make during this short span of life determine our eternity. We must take it seriously.