Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Title: The Inconsistent Saint / Topic: Spiritual Life

Today’s Reading: Ephesians 5; Ephesians 6; Psalm 119:1-80

Scripture: Psalm 119:4-6
4 You have laid down precepts
that are to be fully obeyed.
5 Oh, that my ways were steadfast
in obeying your decrees!
6 Then I would not be put to shame
when I consider all your commands.

Observation: Psalm 119 is all about the Word of God -- its priority, place, and power in the life of the God-seeker. Verse 5 caught my eye. In the midst of extolling the Word, he laments his own inconstancy to obedience of it. I love this about the Bible. It is honest. It talks to me where I live. And because it paints a picture of real people who love the Lord and seek the Lord -- but who also struggle and fail in their pursuit of godliness -- because of that, it greatly encourages me.

Application: Be encouraged! Those who went before us struggled just as you and I do. They battled with forces without and within, contending for the reality of authentic relationship with God. Keep fighting the battle. Don't give up. We are still in the hunt and we will be successful if we keep going.

Prayer: Lord, I thank You that You have not given up on me. I am a man of true desire but inconsistent implementation of the things I know to do. Help me to lay hold of Your power and divine enablement that I may more adequately walk the narrow road to life. And help me to lead and encourage others on the way.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Amen. I'm glad we have a record of those who went before us who struggled, failed, but who also got up again and crossed the finish line successfully. They show us both the problem and the solutions (most of the solution is just to keep on keeping on).