Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Title: The Secret To Contentment / Topic: Faith

Today’s Reading: Philippians 1; Philippians 2; Philippians 3; Philippians 4

Scripture: Philippians 4:10-13
10 I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Observation: Paul is thanking the Philippians for their financial support. As he writes, he can't resist the opportunity to teach. What Paul emphasizes is contentment. He appreciates their concern which is clearly demonstrated by a financial gift. But he didn't need the gift to be content. Paul has mastered contentment -- being happy with what you have, not unhappy about what you don't have. He has learned the secret to contentment. We find it in verse 13. "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." The secret to contentment is faith and reliance on God. If I know that God is with me to accomplish all that He wants in my life, then the other resources aren't an issue. God will help me whether I have much or little.

Application: This is a hard idea for those of us in a materialistic culture. We think if we have lots of money or people or stuff, we can get more done. And that may be true on the earthly plain. But it is not true on the spiritual plain. The eternal work does not require earthly resources. It requires spiritual resources. Paul is a great example. Caesar had great wealth, and power, and he indeed accomplished much on the earthly plain. But Paul, who had nothing in comparison to Caesar's earthly resources, had great spiritual resources and accomplished far more in the spiritual, eternal realm than did Caesar. Today, people name their dogs Caesar. But they name their sons Paul.

Prayer: Lord, help me to be rich in spiritual resources. Help me to build up those resources so that I can accomplish much for eternity. And help me to be content as I depend of You and You alone.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. Thank you Mike and thank you Paul for the timely reminder. More, and most, importantly thank you Father for the glorious gifts that you have given unto us.

Cynthia Stipech said...

Great post. I liked your line about people today naming their dogs Ceaser and their sons Paul. Very funny (although there are still some places where sons are named Ceaser too).