Thursday, December 07, 2006

Title: Whose Energy? / Topic: Ministry

Today’s Reading: Colossians 1; Colossians 2; Colossians 3; Colossians 4

Scripture: Colossians 1:28-29
28 We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. 29 To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.

Observation: Paul is a hard working Christian messenger. He is tireless and relentless in his efforts to win people to Christ and to grow those who are believers. The "end", that is the goal of his hard work is written in verse 28: "... so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ." That is the vision that Paul has -- standing before the Judgment Seat of Christ and presenting his work, that is the people to whom he ministered, as completed and excellent unto Jesus. It is that vision that motivates, no compels, him to keep on working and fighting, even in the face of obstacles and opposition. He tells us it is hard work, even a struggle. But Paul has been at this long enough that he knows that he himself is not the resource upon which he draws. He says he is "struggling with all his [that is God's] energy."

Application: I so identify with Paul's desires here. But I think that I often get weary and discouraged because I forget that it is God's energy that I must draw on. As I read what Paul wrote about himself, "struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me," I contrast it with my own experience (based on my emotions). Here's my feelings about me: "struggling to do the best I can, as my own strength and desire hold up." That's quite a contrast to Paul. I need to remember this truth: I must tap into God for everything.

Prayer: Dear Father, You know me. You know my heart and my efforts, my shortcomings and my victories. You know my nature to work alone, even, sometimes without You. (Sorry, Lord!) Help me to do nothing unless I do it with You, or even better, You do it through me. Refresh and renew me, Lord. And help me to catch anew the vision You have for me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Oh that we all would stay in that place of letting His energy work in and through us. It is so easy to step out of that place. Thank you for your open vulnerability in sharing.