Friday, December 08, 2006

Title: Keep On Keeping On / Topic: Determination

Today’s Reading: 1 Timothy 1; 1 Timothy 2; 1 Timothy 3; 1 Timothy 4

Scripture: 1 Timothy 4:5-16
15 Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Observation: I love this letter from Paul to his young protégé, Timothy. The fatherly tone and practical advice is something I find wonderful, partly because I longed for and never really found a relationship with an older pastor as a mentor. These last verses in chapter four really speak to me. The instruction to diligence, total dedication, watchfulness, and perseverance is something that I need to be reminded about. Sometimes it seems that hard work doesn't pay off -- that is really make little difference no matter how hard I work. But Paul reminds Timothy (and me) that he must keep on keeping on. And that the outcome of this kind of total and relentless dedication will be ultimate success in ministry: the salvation of the "hearers" as well as the messenger!

Application: The application is simple: keep on keeping on. I must evaluate my life and where I have slacked off, I must increase my efforts (with God's strength, of course) to get it right. I'm looking for the payoff up there.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for reminders from those who have gone before me. I ask You to give me determination and courage to keep fighting the battle, even when I don't sense success or even the possibility of success. Help me to keep my eyes on You and forget the circumstances. I want to please You and bring all those You have entrusted to my care Home safely.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely said... Amen. It was all good reading today. I am especially partial to 4:12, age not withstanding we should allstrive to be living examples of Gods glory.

Mark

Cynthia Stipech said...

Amen.