Thursday, November 30, 2006

Title: Faith In The Face Of Reality / Topic: Godly Faith

Today’s Reading: Romans 1; Romans 2; Romans 3; Romans 4

Scripture: Romans 4:18-21
18 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, "So shall your offspring be." 19 Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah's womb was also dead. 20 Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21 being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.

Observation: I love this! Abraham had real godly faith. It was tough and gritty faith. It was faith that could look into the eyes of hopeless reality and still maintain hope. Abraham and his wife, Sarah, were way past the physical age of bearing children. Abraham was 100 and Sarah 90 (just a young chick!). And even when they were in the prime of their child bearing years, they were infertile. Abraham does not retreat into denial about his situation. He knows and accepts the facts. But Abraham also knows that God has given him a promise so he still believes! Now that's faith! How did he do it? He was "fully persuaded that God had the power to do what he had promised."

Application: Do I believe that? Do I really believe that God has the power to do everything He has promised? Intellectually I do. But internally I must not fully because I still have doubts. Abraham was able to slay his doubts with this fantastic faith. That's the kind of faith that I want.

Prayer: Lord, help me to cultivate and grow this faith that can maintain in the face of bad news. I want to stand on Your promises and walk in overcoming faith. Help me, Lord.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I love this scripture. Such a practical application of faith. Abraham didn't deny reality; he faced the fact that both he and his wife had bodies that were "dead" as far as fertility goes. Yet he had faith that God would fulfill the promise regardless of how impossible it looked from a human standpoint. I want that kind of faith!